Monday, October 17, 2011

Weeping Rain

The rain comes down in sheets.

Beneath a sooty

Rooftop a howl echoes.

It’s meant for me.

I stand on the flat roof

Looking at lamp lit streets below,

Fear pours into my belly,

Like an icy stream from the mountains.

My hands shake

Under my wet cloak.

I pour my powder into my Wheelock pistols,

Leaning my readied rifle on my knee,

Like a centurion preparing for war.

How I wish I had a friend.

A woman’s scream sounds in the distance,

Not long now,

I tamp a wad and silver pellet,

Fasten my Wheelock pistols at either side,

Raising my rifle, cocking the hammer I wait,

A rock dove skitters in flight as I aim

In its direction,

The sniffing of an animal rises from

The alley below,

My hand shakes,

A howl cuts through the air,

Slicing through my nerves,

The rifle slips,

A thunderous reply answers the beast,

I curse,

My ears ring,

Pulling at my pistols I cock them and wait,

I say a silent prayer

Aiming my pistols

At the door,

A beam securely acrossed it in the rain,

I smell him before I see him,

Musky wet dog,

The beam snaps at the first blow,

A wet snarl snaps at me

From behind the splintered frame,

Wood showers at me,

A giant wolf at me leaps,

The crack of the first shot splits the air,

The beast yelps,

Leaping into my chest,

I land hard,

Sucking for air and getting none,

I am a man smothering in thick wet darkness,

Snapping teeth and claws search for me,

My hand is twisted on itself,

I can’t feel it,

The second shot goes off,

The ringing is now very loud,

The weight of the beast lifts off of me,

I reach out like a drowning man for shore,

A sharp pain shoots in my arm,

I feel the pop,

When something heavy lands on it,

I turn and look upon my fate,

Instead before my wild eyes,

Like ice, the beast melts into

Form of a young man,

With my foot I roll him over,

A gathering pool of crimson surrounds us both,

My shirt is warm

A metallic tang fills my nose,

He coughs and spits red,

I hold his hand with my good hand,

He tries to speak,

His eyes are blinded by rain,

Mine with fever,

In a picture in my mind,

Long ago,

I see a young boy, like him,

And happier me,

We laugh,

The sun shines,

I kick at the leaves beneath my feet,

The sun is bright on our faces,

I tossle his hair,

The rain is heavy,

He doesn’t see my tears,

He squeezes my hand,

He cries out and lets go,

My boy, my boy,

My dear sweet boy.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, LoL sorry to say Blacklight tends to be a more tragic character than most. His life gets better he just had a tougher life than the average joe, however, that just means he's a character for great potential to grow.

    ReplyDelete